Welcome Regional Center Folks!

On this page you will find a brief glossery of terms specific to Sonia Corina, Inc., links to other information, downloadable forms, general FAQ, and FAQ specific to our two respite programs.


BRC= Bay Respite Care

Full-Service (Agency) respite= one of two respite programs we administer.  We recruit, hire, train, and match RCPs with families.  We are the direct supervisors to the RCPs and handle all discipline.  We do home visits with the client families and are in frequent contact with them.

SCI= Sonia Corina, Inc.

Specialized Healthcare respite= this programs goes with the Full-Service respite.  If the client is fed via G-Tube, uses an Epi-Pen, or uses an asthma inhaler/nebulizer, then you need to use this referral form.  Even if the family already has a RCP for us to hire, you need to use this form.  We can still hire the RCP under Full-Service for this family, and they will not be asked to work with other Full-Service clients. 

Self-Service (Employer of Record) respite= one of two respite programs we administer.  In SSR respite, the family provides us with a RCP.  We hire that person and take care of all payroll, payroll taxes, benefits, worker's comp. insurance, regional center billing, and CPR/FA certification.  No home visit is done with the client family.

RCP= Respite Care Provider- the caregiver that BRC hires to take care of the client


Other Information and downloads:

Full-Service Referral Form- pdf

Self-Service Referral Form- pdf

Specialized Healthcare Referral Form- pdf

Full-Service vs. Self-Service Respite- a comparison of the two programs (pdf)

Vendor Numbers and Service Codes:

Full-Service Vendor #HN0208, Service Code 862

Specialized Healthcare Vendor #PN0392, Service Code 103

Self-Service Vendor #HN0245, Service Code 862


General FAQ:

Q:  With which Regional Centers does Sonia Corina have contracts?

A:  Sonia Corina contracts with NBRC, RCEB, and GGRC.

Q:  What area do you serve?

A:  We serve Marin county, Sonoma county, Napa county, Solano county, Contra Costa county, and Alameda county. 

Q:  What types of respite does Sonia Corina provide?

A:  Sonia Corina provides two main types of respite:  Full-Service respite and Self-Service respite. 

Q:  Can all contracted regional centers send referrals to both programs?

A:  No.  Only NBRC and RCEB has contracts for both types of respite.  GGRC only contract for Full-Service respite.

Q:  If one of my families wants to change from one of your respite programs to another, how do I help?

A:  Send a cancellation POS to the old program and a referral to the new program.

Q:  Do you serve the Spanish-speaking population?

A:  Yes.  We have bilingual Program Coordinators for Full-Service respite.  We currently employ some Spanish speaking RCPs and are working on translating all of our trainings into Spanish.  We already offer CPR and First Aid in Spanish three times a month- once in Benicia, once in Santa Rosa (temporarily suspended as of August 2013), and once in the East Bay. We also have a bilingual Program Assistant for Self-Service respite.  All of our SSR sign-up paperwork/hiring paperwork is available in Spanish.


Full-Service (Agency) Respite FAQ:

Q:  Who is elibigle to receive Full-Service respite?

A:  NBRC, RCEB and GGRC clients.  The family can either be in need of a RCP or have one for SCI to hire.   

Q:  Does Full-Service respite handle any medical respite?

A:  FSR accepts referrals for G-Tube, inhaler, Epi-pen, and nebulizer respite, using our Specialized Healthcare referral.  We do NOT accept referrals for clients who require suctioning or any other invasive medical treatment.

Q:  What kind of training do your Full-Service RCPs go through?

A:  First, all our RCPs are interviewed and have 3 verifiable employer references.  They take a comprehensive 2 day training which includes life span development, employee guidelines, and hands-on training for personal care.  They are also fingerprinted (we hire no felons) and are certified in CPR and First Aid.  These RCPs can work with any family within a twenty mile radius of their home.  We call these workers General Full-Service Workers.

Q:  What is your Private Worker program?

A:  Under Full-Service respite, we have the Private Worker program.  Private Workers are referred to us by the client family.  They go through an alternative hiring process and work exclusively for the family that referred them.  The family can use a combination of Private Workers and General Workers (from our pool of RCPs).  A Private Worker can be a sibling, aunt, uncle, neighbor, family friend, school aide, etc.

Q:  What happens when one of my families goes over their amount of authorized hours?

A:  Bay Respite Care bills the family for the overusage hours.  At the home visit, the Program Coordinator explains to the family about overusage.  When the family signs our service agreement, they agree to pay any overusage fees.  BRC is happy to work out a payment plan if the family cannot pay the bill all at once.  However, if the family refuses to pay the bill, BRC will eventually stop services. 

Q:  Who is supposed to keep track of the hours the family uses?

A:  The family is responsible- never the Respite Care Providers.  We also explain this to them during the Home Visit.  If the family is not sure how many hours they have used, they can always call our office and we will tell them how many hours have been turned in. 

Q:  What is the Home Visit?

A:  When we get a referral for Full-Service respite, a Program Coordinator will call the family to schedule a Home Visit.  The Home Visit has a three-fold purpose.  First, we must meet the client.  This helps us to get a better idea on how best to serve this client and which RCPs to match with the family.  Second, we must inspect the house.  We guarentee our RCPs a safe and clean working environment.  Third, we go over their Home Visit packet.  We have assembled a respite manual for the parent that explains all of our rules and regulations, what they can use respite for, what they can expect of their RCPs, and any other pertinent information. We also fill out all the necessary paperwork to start services.  If you would like to attend and watch a Home Visit, please contact our Services department.  A department member would be happy to help you.


Self-Service (Employer of Record) Respite FAQ:

Q:  Who is eligible to receive Self-Service respite?

A:  NBRC and RCEB clients who have a worker for us to hire and do not require any invasive medical treatment that our worker would be expected to perform.

Q:  Should I send a POS along with the referral?

A.  No.  Do NOT send a POS with the referral.  Please wait until you receive an email from the SSR office requesting the POS.

Q:  Does Self-Service respite handle any medical respite?

A:  No.  You would refer G-Tube, inhaler, Epi-pen, and nebulizer respite to Full-Service respite using the Specialized Healthcare referral.

Q:  What happens when an SSR family goes over their authorized amount of hours?

A:  If the employee is paid for all the hours turned in and the family goes over their authorized amount of hours, the family is billed for those hours.  In the client sign-up paperwork, we send the family a Respite Manual.  In the manual, it explains about overusage and that the family (not BRC, nor the regional center, nor the RCP) is responsible for keeping track of their hours.  Also, in the service agreement that the family signs, they agree to pay any overusage fees that they might accrue.  However, the SSR office usually catches the overusage before the employee is paid.  If this happens, the employee is not paid for any hours that would push the family into overusage.   

Q:  If SSR already serves one client and their sibling needs to start SSR services, what do I do?

A:  Please send us a referral for the new sibling client, and note in the appropriate place that this is a sibling client.  The family will receive a smaller sign-up packet. 

Q:  Does SSR have a pool of worker/registry list from which the family can select a worker?

A:  No.  The family needs to provide their own worker.

Q:  What is the hiring process for an Self-Service RCP?

A:  The potential RCP must fill out the entire hiring packet (application, personnel page, tax forms, I9 form, Safety and Exposure test, receipt of employee handbook) and return it to the SSR office.  The RCP must provide the proper documentation for the I9 form (state ID, driver's license, Social security card, US Passport, US birth certificate, permenant resident card, work authorization permit, etc.) and sign the hiring agreement.  The RCP must pass a background check and also take CPR and First Aid.  We offer CPR and First Aid classes to the potential employees for free. 

Q:  Do SSR employees pay for CPR/FA certification? 

A:  No.  If they take one of our classes, the class is free.  We many classes each month- in Vallejo, Santa Rosa, Concord, Richmond, Livermore, and Brentwood, in both English and Spanish.  If they take the class elsewhere, BRC does not reimburse the cost of the class.

Q:  Can a family in SSR use a RCP from the Full-Service department?

A:  Yes.  However, that RCP must go through an amended SSR hiring process to become an SSR RCP.  S/he cannot work for the family until this process is completed.  

Q:  Is the family limited in the number of workers they can have?

A:  No.  SSR is happy to hire as many workers as the family needs.

Q:  If the family loses a worker, how do they go about getting a new one hired?

A:  The family calls the SSR office and requests a new hiring packet.  We mail it to either the family or new worker.  Once the new worker has been hired, they may start to turn in timesheets.  There is no need to interrupt the authorization, and there is no need to send a new referral.

Q:  If the family wants to hire a new/second worker, do I need to send a new referral to the SSR office?

A:  No.  The referral is only to refer a new client- not a worker.  Just tell the family to contact the SSR office.


Back to SCI Homepage